Mexican Mole Sauce
If you’ve never experienced mole sauce you are in for a special treat. Not only is this delicious, but it can be used in many ways to enhance recipes.
I must admit, up until recently I never had eaten mole sauce. I live in California and Mexican food is abundant, but somehow it never crossed my path, until I was assigned to make it at the raw food culinary school I attended last year. I immediately fell for this recipe and I think you will enjoy it as well.
Mole Sauce Recipe
Equipment Needed: High Speed Blender
Yield: 2 cups
- 1 dried chili of any kind (California, Anaheim, Ancho), remove seeds
- 1 dried chipotle (if don’t have access to a dried chipotle, add a second dried chili (California, Anaheim, Ancho)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup carrot juice
- 1 Roma tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 large shallot, minced (if a shallot isn’t available substitute a green onion)
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons raw almond butter (my favorite brand Artisana – the best)
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of cardamon
- 2/3 cup chocolate almond fudge (see recipe below)
Chocolate Almond Fudge
Equipment Needed: n/a
Yield: 2/3 cup
- 1/2 cup raw almond butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup cacao or carob powder (sifted to remove lumps)
- 1 teaspoon Tamari (San-J wheat-free, gluten-free)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Combine chilies, dates, and raisins, cover with warm water for 1-2 hours, then drain well.
2. Using a high-speed blender, blend soaked chilies, dates, and raisins with all the other ingredients until smooth and set aside.
3. Make Chocolate Almond Fudge – combine all ingredients in mixing bowl and mix together until smooth, or blend everything together in blender.
4. Store in sealed glass container in refrigerator. If you want to serve warm, place mole sauce in a glass jar and put it in the dehydrator to warm for 1 hour.
If you’ve enjoyed this post, Mole Sauce Recipe, leave a comment below:
Information and material found on this website is for informational purposes only, and not intended to provide medical advice, nor should it be construed as such. The information is NOT intended as a substitute for the advice provided by your physician or other healthcare professional, or any information contained on or in any product label or packaging. Do not use the information provided on this site for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disease, or prescribing medication or other treatment. All content, including text, graphics, images and information available on this site is for general informational, entertainment and educational purposes only. Products, or information, are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional diagnosis or treatment. Always speak with your physician or other healthcare professional before taking any medication or nutritional, herbal or homeopathic supplement, beginning any diet program or exercise program, or using any treatment for a health problem. If you have or suspect that you have a medical problem, contact your health care provider promptly. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking professional advice because of something you have read on this website. The author of this site is not responsible for any adverse effects that may occur from the application of the information on this site and encourages you to make your own healthcare decisions, based on your own research and in partnership with a qualified healthcare professional.