Step 1: Activate Your Water Kefir Grains
Water kefir is a fermented or cultured beverage that support the health of your intestinal tract.
Making water kefir is going to open your world up to not only a new, healthy beverage, but numerous beverages because of how you can flavor water kefir. But first things first, activating your water kefir grains so you can then proceed forward in making water kefir.
Julie from Cultures for Health explains how to activate kefir grains:
How to Activate Water Kefir Grains
- Glass jar
- A non-metal stirring utensil
- A breathable cover for the jar such as a tight-weave towel, paper towel, or paper coffee filter
- A rubber band to secure the cover to the jar
- A fine mesh plastic strainer for removing the water kefir grains from the finished water kefir
- Dehydrated water kefir grains
- ¼ cup cane sugar
- 3-4 cups water, non-chlorinated, non-fluoridated
- Heat 3-4 cups water.
- Pour into glass jar.
- Dissolve ¼ cup cane sugar in the water.
- Cool to 68°-85°F.
- Empty entire packet of dehydrated water kefir grains into cooled sugar water.
- Cover with a coffee filter or cloth, secured by a rubber band.
- Place in a warm spot, 68°-85°F, for 3-5 days.
- After 5 days grains should be plump and translucent. They are now ready to make water kefir. Strain the sugar water off and discard it.
Once your water kefir grains are re-hydrated, click here to learn How to Make Water Kefir – Step 2.
Information and material found on this website is for informational purposes only, and not intended to provide medical advice, nor should it be construed as such. The information is NOT intended as a substitute for the advice provided by your physician or other healthcare professional, or any information contained on or in any product label or packaging. Do not use the information provided on this site for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disease, or prescribing medication or other treatment. All content, including text, graphics, images and information available on this site is for general informational, entertainment and educational purposes only. Products, or information, are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional diagnosis or treatment. Always speak with your physician or other healthcare professional before taking any medication or nutritional, herbal or homeopathic supplement, beginning any diet program or exercise program, or using any treatment for a health problem. If you have or suspect that you have a medical problem, contact your health care provider promptly. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking professional advice because of something you have read on this website. The author of this site is not responsible for any adverse effects that may occur from the application of the information on this site and encourages you to make your own healthcare decisions, based on your own research and in partnership with a qualified healthcare professional.